Wednesday 6 May 2015

VISUAL DIAGRAM - Development and final product

VISUAL DIAGRAM - The making of


>So I knew what I wanted to say for my poster but I had no idea how to show it. I thought I could do it like an exclusive club where only rich people were allowed in but I think i'm massively overthinking it and I just don't think it'll work. My problem is that I just need to strip it back and show what I want to say very basically so everyone can understand. 




>I keep drawing these faces which I really like. Very quick loose sketches showing fancy people with bushy eyebrows and big teeth. I think that these work well and maybe I should just stick to using faces and displaying character and personality rather than trying to create this whole scene of people. 




>From my previous sketchbook work, I really liked the gouache painting I did with Mark Francis that simply said 'Darling' underneath it. It worked so well because you instantly know who it is by enhancing their well known features and the little comment enhances that further. I think I should take this success and use it for my final piece, because I already know that it works so I'd be an idiot not to do it. Plus I love working in gouache, because it's a great tool to create characters with flat cold shapes. 
>I've decided to do all the characters faces with a statement underneath it. Orderly like Tom Gauld's work.



>When I actually started to out the faces and words together on photoshop, it looked a bit wrong. The words were just disappearing into the faces and no longer jumping out. So this made me think of doing speech bubbles to make sure you can read everything! It also brings the faces more together to being like a crowd of characters than an orderly line. I think compositionally, it works a lot better. 
>I knew after I did my research that I wanted the words coming out of their mouths to be the honest truth behind each character. As the media seems to sugar coat the fact that most of them are lying cheating human beings. We shouldn't be getting so self absorbed by these characters and the lifestyles they lead, we need to be shown the actual reality behind it all. 

Final Poster

>I'm pretty pleased with my final poster. I really like my choice of material, as I'm comfortable with gouache and is great doing characters in a non realistic flat colour way. Although I wish I had abstracted the faces a bit more, really emphasising certain characteristics. But I really struggled with actually making them look like the character that they're representing, so my plan of abstracting the faces kind of jumped out the window. I then wish that I had abstracted the colours a bit more, using bright pink for the faces instead of sticking to the normal skin tone. I think this would have made the poster pop a bit more, making you want to go and look at it. Although I am quite pleased with the colour scheme, as the blue goes well with the pinks of the faces. Also blue being a royal colour, I thought that it fit the theme quite well.
>But overall I think it conveys the point I was initially making about satirising the characters so we don't take the program so seriously to the extent that we genuinely think people from that area are actually like that. I actually like how my posters a bit different, as it seems from other peoples topics that they're quite serious and world changing, and, as much as I would like to change the world, I think it's important to also have a bit of fun and do something that no one else would really think of doing.



No comments:

Post a Comment