Tuesday 5 May 2015

VISUAL DIAGRAM - SKETCHBOOK DRAWINGS


SKETCHBOOK DRAWINGS
>Drawings and paintings to research into subject visually


If I'm perfectly honest, I think I've shot myself in the foot a little bit by choosing this subject... there's literally nothing on the subject. Because this subculture is so new, not even a lot of people really know what it is or have much information about it. BUT I WILL NOT REST. I don't want to give up and change my subject because of this. I think it actually means that I need to do this subject so I can educate other people about it. 
So I thought I'd just start drawing characters from 'rah' programs and just like I did with the character brief in visual communication, not think about anything and just draw/paint and see what comes out from it. 

Mark Francis from Made in Chelsea
This is the first time ever that I've used gouache and I've had a revelation! It's great! I love how it creates a flat colour so allows you to work just with shape and creates character. I think it'll be a material I'll be thinking about using for my final poster. I've struggled a lot in the past with making my work have a fun style and sense of character, so I really want to try and explore this in this brief. 


So I explored gouache further...

Gouache 1


Gouache 2

Gouache 3

>Then these faces then started appearing.. It was really weird, it was like I had an epiphany from the gouache Gods and they told me what to do. I really love the looseness of these paintings. I think they show so much more character to that of a well studied portrait. It also allows me to play with their personality and facial features, and as I kind of want to take the mick out of these characters, this style allows me to do so with ease. 
>I think this also shows how far I've come in terms of my drawing and painting, as before I would have spent ages over one drawing, whereas now I filled the a4 sketchbook over 2/3 days. I think it's definitely clear that I have stopped overthinking my work and just let my thoughts spill out onto the page and hope it brings itself together into a successful piece of artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment