Thursday 1 September 2016

'Market Illustration' book analysis


Harvard Ref:
Heller, S. and Arisman, M. (2009) Marketing illustration: New venues, new styles, new methods. New York, NY: Allworth Press,U.S.

I found this book in the library after my dad found it somehow on the internet. It actually had a lot more in it that I thought was relevant than I was expecting which is good. I came across a fair few interesting points that I want to talk about so I'm really sorry if you're the person that has to read through my blog.

INTRODUCTION:
The intro includes a letter from an illustrator who is worried for his future and the book is meant to reassure his worries.
he says: "The illustrators of today should no longer have to be subject to trends that cause their jobs to become rather short-lived. Instead, I would like to see illustrators become more known not only for their process, but their content value. When I say content value I am referring to what we choose to draw, not how we draw."

This is something that every illustrator (I like to think) also believes in and is something that does need to be addressed. Although this book was published in 2008 and still seems to be something that is talked about now. I'd actually say that it's actually happening more then ever before, illustrators seem to become slaves to the industry, churning tacky brightly coloured shit which apparently seems to bring much pleasure to the market. This is also to do with how we draw, so the market wants us to have this style (WHICH DOESN'T MEAN VOICE). I like to think of it like the soul of a human (the voice) and the outside exterior of a human (the style). You could dress yourself in some kind of cool fashion style, but doesn't necessarily reflect your thoughts or your voice or who you are. Anyway, the market wants us to have a style of how we draw but doesn't speak volumes or what you would like to say. Mark Rothko says "there is no such thing as a good painting about nothing." I too like this illustrator is also worried about this when it comes to it. I'd hate to have to produce something that I couldn't care about but the markets loved. It makes me feel like an empty machine.

anyway 

The rest of the book is full of quotes from fellow artists/illustrators that say that the market wasn't really a problem for them. John Hendrix says that the market will come to you! You don't go to the market. Agreed by Yuko Shimizu who said that the internet and having websites means that you don't have to worry about markets because someone out there will like your work anyway. It's so easy to access other people's work now that it just isn't a problem. 

Nora Krug says that the field of editorial illustration has been shrinking rapidly, which isn't really great to hear because I'm quite interested in this subject area. They go onto saying that new areas have emerged instead in the commercial fields - is this industry taking over????? I suppose it's good that there's now more sectors for illustrators to work in, but it makes it more likely for an illustrator to have to produce work that they don't really want to do. 

actually

The more I think about this book and re reading over it, I think it's extremely one sided. Im sure that there is a lot of illustrators that create what they love and haven't had to work for the markets. I think that they've only asked the ones who work for themselves anyway, not giving very accurate representations. It's also an american book, I'm not sure if marketing in america is the same to here... 


No comments:

Post a Comment