Wednesday 27 April 2016

OUIL501 Evaluation

I think this module has taught me a lot about managing workload, this being because I didn’t do a very good job at it. For the first time on this course, I have been stressing a lot about the work load. After having the stress of getting my work done in time, it’s made me realise the importance of doing a little as you go along instead of leaving it. But instead of getting annoyed at myself for this, I’m going to take this as a learning curve. Now I have fully experienced this, I feel like I will definitely take it on board, not just for my next two submissions, but for the future modules. I have also learnt from this module that this isn’t the way that I work, as I enjoyed the 504 and 505 module a lot more. I think having a long thin module makes me think that I have a lot of time to do my work, which in reality of course isn’t true. Having a shorter amount of time to get my work done in gives me more pressure, making me get on with my work a lot more. I will think about this in the future in terms of my career, I should go into something that provides me with short deadlines to work by. 

In terms of methods and image making, I did learn how to do simple pop-up. Although I didn’t take it into my final practical response, it is something that may be more appropriate as a response in future work. I also re-taught myself how to make a hardback book, as this piece of information had been buried in the back of my mind from foundation. Now I have created my first successful hardback book, I should definitely use this method again in later projects or maybe even for fun. 

The strengths that I have shown in this module is my willingness to explore methods that aren’t in my comfort zone. This being evident in my pop-up exploration and the style I chose for my final practical response. Although I used to do realistic painting a lot back in my GCSE days, it’s not something I really go to anymore or honestly enjoy that much. It seems a bit silly going for a method that I don’t really enjoy doing, I think it was the best material and ‘style’ to go for, as anything else would not have looked half as good. I also think that this shows good initiative, knowing what will work and what won’t and not just going for what I feel comfortable doing as you won’t really get anywhere with that mindset.  

A weakness from this module apart from my time keeping was not wanting to give up on something even if I knew deep down that it wasn’t working. I should have ditched the pop-up idea a lot earlier then when I did, but I was blinded by wanting to try something new that would look cool. I need to realise that some things don’t need fancy flaps and pop-ups and can work even better just being simple but convicted well. Again I’m taking this as a learning curve to be aware of what really isn’t working for me and address it straight away. To capitalise on this, I will have a ‘stop and reflect’ every 2 weeks to see where I’m wasting my own time and what I should push forward. I think this will then impact a lot with my time management, because I think my time management was so terrible for this module because I was very stuck and just didn’t try to solve the very apparent problem. I also didn’t submerse myself into the module as much as I should of. I wish I researched a lot more about relevant subjects and different paths that I could’ve and maybe should’ve explored. 


But, one of the main things that I can take away from this module is that I have found a tone of voice that I really enjoy doing - satire. Once I started writing the short statements for my book and also doing the illustrations in 505, I found myself getting so involved in it, coming up with all these ideas. This has made me think that this is something I really want to get into in the future for my work. I really want to capitalise on this and make it the best that I possibly can make it. Although this module didn’t go as well as I wanted it to, the fact that it’s made me realise this has made it all worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment