Wednesday 12 October 2016

Phenakistoscope

June 28, 2014. The optical toy, the phenakistoscope, was an early animation device that used the persistence of vision principle to create an illusion of motion. It was invented by Joseph Plateau in 1841.The phenakistoscope used a spinning disc attached vertically to a handle.


This is something that I wanted to look at for my practical. I think it would link quite nicely, as it was used to create an illusion, in the same way that hyperreality relies on people's perception and suspended belief.
Although I have no idea what I could animate??? I also want to work with layering and im not sure if I can do that with a phenakistoscope. Maybe I could think of a way of there being two different sequences?? So If you play it clockwise then you get one story and then if you play it anti-clockwise then you get a different one? But I think this may be something quite difficult to achieve. Or even if you look at it in the mirror or a reflection it's different to when you see it with your own eyes?

>I could also look at the similar invention of the Zootrope




No comments:

Post a Comment