Saturday 22 October 2016

Victoria Gate


Leeds have just opened Victoria Gate, a glitzy new shopping centre. I really wanted to check it out with hyper reality in mind and see if I could apply what I've been reading to real context in front of my eyes. Destination theory is the first thing I thought of when walking in. The over fancy decor and high end shops and restaurants made me think that this is a place where people would travel to for a day out not just to buy something. It's also made me think that another reason for why you would want to go here is be seen being there. This links to the idea of the destination, because it means that it's not even really about the consuming anymore, it has gone further and created a social space. If you're seen being in a fancy place, the connotations of this means that you must have money or a moderately high social status, which we as egotistical beings enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment