Wednesday 12 October 2016

"The Uncanny" Freud

http://culturalstudiesnow.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/sigmund-freud-uncanny-summary-and-review.html
^The site I used to understand this concept

I was a bit confused by this, but I think I have some kind of understanding that is relevant to my subject. It explains that basically it 'is something new that exists in something already known'. So I took this as, in relation to hyperreality, that places such as theme parks and shopping centres are models of what we already know and are comfortable with. But I think it then goes onto us not liking the idea of not being able to tell what's real and what's an copy of reality straight away.

This text used this example:
the mannequin is an example of something which appears to be familiar as a human figure, but is in fact lifeless and therefore a potential cause of dread as a result of this dissonance of not knowing at first glance whether we are looking at a human or a piece of plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment