Thursday 10 November 2016

Case Studies? - The Trafford Centre


When thinking about what shopping centres to include in my essay as a case study, the Trafford centre in Manchester is what first came to mind. It's tacky themed decor fits perfectly with the concept of theming that Bryman puts forward in his Disneyization book. I think this is somewhere I need to go to and could possibly be a case study???? But first I need to do some more research into the layout and design of the building. 

From Wiki:"Its vivid and quirky rococo/late baroque architectural style pays homage to the history of the area. The Orient food hall is themed as a steam ship, reflecting the centre's proximity to the Manchester Ship Canal."
> I suppose that explains the extremely outdated decor... but surely there's more reasoning behind it.

I've found that John Whittaker was in charge of the architects to push forward the style of the deco, promoting it as a unique shopping experience of the consumer. I thought this would be a lead into who I could contact for more information, then I saw he has a fortune of £2.3 billion so contacting him isn't really going to be an option... But the actual architects are Chapman Taylor and Leach Rhodes Walker, maybe I'm more likely to get in contact with these guys? 

No comments:

Post a Comment