Wednesday 30 November 2016

Bad little children's books - Bob Staake


When looking satirical books to be inspired by, I found this! Bob Staake recreated a twisted series of 60 children book covers, and called the series 'Bad little children's books'. I really love this, as I have a secrete hatred for classic children illustration, so the juxtaposition of the imagery with the joke text is brilliant. This is more like what i did for my cop practical last year, using the watercolour styled imagery. 
But by seeing this it has made me think that seeing as he's done 60 of these that they are pretty popular in the market, otherwise he wouldn't have done so many, that it has made me hopeful for my future, as this is something that I would like to get into.

REVISIT 6/1/17
I've just found this article about the Bob Staake series, and now it's not looking too great for my future...
"Satirical children's book cover illustrations draw criticism"
It talks about having a fine line between satire and bigotry and how these series have really upset some people because he took it too far.. Although to be fair some one the titles are a bit much like 'happy burkaday timmy' and I would never do anything that I think would offend someone's race or religion. But this has made me think that I do need to be careful in the future for my work, as I don't really want to get slammed by the press.

No comments:

Post a Comment